I am Robert Hale, while still on the road, acupuncturist, herbalist, osteopath, author, nature lover, learner, poet, walker, musical beginner, drinker of Khayyam’s “wine”, and some kind of healer.
My interest in and love for all things natural goes way back to when I was a child exploring the local countryside and its woods, ponds and brooks. I have been studying the natural world more seriously since my days as an undergraduate student at Oxford Polytechnic (now Oxford Brookes University), where I took a degree course in the two fields of Biology and Food Science and Nutrition. In 1987, influenced by my father-in-law Gianfranco Miotto (about whom I write here), I began to study Acupuncture at the school of Dr. Ulderico Lanza in Luserna San Giovanni, Italy. After gaining my diploma in 1990 I was for several years apprentice to my father-in-law at his practice in the Venice area of Italy. For over 25 years now I have been practising acupuncture in clinic alongside my other modalities of osteopathy and herbal medicine, in which I am also a qualified. I have continually updated and expanded my knowledge through online and self-study. My acupuncture practice is in Santa Eulària des Riu, on the beautiful Mediterranean island of Ibiza, where I live with my wife Clouds Woman, and spend my down-time walking its hills, shoreline and cliffs, writing, and learning to play my beloved mandolin. I have two grown-up children of whom I am extremely proud.
This website is about my acupuncture practice. For my other activities see here.
Qualifications and Professional Membership
I have professional qualifications in Acupuncture, Naturopathy, Herbal Medicine, and Osteopathy. I am a member of the Asociación de Acupuntores de España (Association of Acupuncturists of Spain – membership number 07603), the Sociedad Española de Fitoterapia (Spanish Society of Phytotherapy – membership number 671) and the Registro de los Osteópatas de España (Register of Osteopaths of Spain – membership number 139). To view my qualifications, see here.
My areas of special expertise
- Herbal medicine.
- Spinal, skeletal, muscle and nerve pain.
- Chronic health problems (problems that have developed over a long time).
- The relationship between the mind and physical health, especially the role of stress.
What can I offer as a practitioner?
- Long experience. I have been in practice since 1994.
- Wide-ranging knowledge. I have good groundings in general medicine (though please note, I am not a medical practitioner), musculoskeletal medicine, traditional oriental medicine, naturopathy, and health psychology.
- A thorough, logical, problem-solving approach.
- A holistic mindset. I am particularly concerned with overall, long-term health, which depends on a variety of physical, environmental and psychosocial influences.
- Dedication. All my patients receive as much thought and care as is necessary to helping their problem.